My love for Belgian waffles probably has something to do with the crispy edges and deep pockets that make the perfect crevices for catching butter and maple syrup. Unfortunately, most gluten free waffles are loaded with gums, such as xanthan or guar gum that can irritate the gut, ruining your overall waffle experience. Instead, I use a combination of sweet rice flour, coconut flour, and eggs for the base of the recipe, which is easy on the stomach.
Your traditional gluten free waffle breakfast has one other major problem: there are often tons of carbohydrates and barely any protein to help stabilize your blood sugar! However, this gluten free waffle recipe contains about 16 grams of protein per serving, leaving your breakfast a little more nutritionally well-rounded.
Gluten Free Waffles
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
½ cup sweet rice flour (like this), do not use regular rice flour
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut flour (like this)
¼ cup collagen powder (like this or this)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
4 organic eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons homemade simple syrup (maple syrup or honey would work too)
⅔ cup + 2 tablespoons milk of choice (I use non-enriched rice milk or homemade coconut milk)
2 tablespoons salted melted butter, plus more for greasing waffle iron (I recommend having a cold stick of butter on hand for this)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your waffle iron.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: sweet rice flour, coconut flour, collagen powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl: eggs, milk, simple syrup, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together.
- Rub a cold stick of butter quickly along the hot interior of the Belgian waffle iron just prior to adding the waffle batter.
- Cook for about 4-6 minutes per waffle, or as required by your waffle maker.
- Top these gluten free waffles with room temperature butter, maple syrup and fruit (if desired).
How do you like your gluten free waffles? Please share in the comments!