Good boxed coconut milk or any alternative (non-dairy) milk for that matter is hard to find. Many are loaded with gums such as carrageenan or guar gum that can irritate the gut and contain added synthetic vitamins that are best avoided (especially vitamin D2). That’s why, if you can find the time, it’s a much better idea to just make homemade coconut milk instead. It’s pretty quick and easy, especially with my simple recipe.
Homemade Coconut Milk
Prep time: 3 minutes
Blend time: 30 seconds
Yield: 4-5 servings
- 1 can lite coconut milk (like this)
- about 3 cups water (just fill up the empty can of coconut milk 1 time, and then again but only half full)
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup (use 1⁄4 cup if you want it less sweet)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter (optional – for extra creaminess, I use this)
Just throw all of the above in a blender and blend until smooth. Store in the fridge. It should keep 4-5 days or so, but quite honestly, it never lasts longer than that in my house, because I’m using it daily (sometimes 2x daily) in my homemade mocha frappe (recipe here).
What’s your favorite non-dairy milk? Please share in the comments!