A fresh berry crisp is one of my favorite things (right up there with these buttery scones). It’s something I realized I hadn’t had the luxury of eating in almost the decade I’ve chosen to eat gluten free. It’s often tough to find a berry crisp that’s gluten free and won’t irritate a sensitive gut, so my motive for creating such is somewhat selfish. This gluten free berry crisp recipe will be a true treat to the gluten free eater that’s been missing out on summer treats like this year after year.
- 4 cups fresh blackberries (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (rinsed and drained)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour (do not use regular rice flour)
- 1/2 tablespoon crème de cassis liqueur (liqueur made from blackcurrants)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sweet rice flour (do not use regular rice flour)
- ½ cup Pam's Baking mix
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons cold salted butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 4 cups of rinsed blackberries and 1 cup of blueberries in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, sweet rice flour, vanilla extract, cassis and mix well to complete the filling.
- Place the filling in 6-8 small ramekins or a medium-sized shallow baking dish.
- Make the topping by combining the rice flour, baking mix, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into several pieces and add it to the topping mixture.
- Using your hands, break the butter up into small pieces until it is fully incorporated with the topping and the mixture had as crumbly texture.
- Add the topping to the crisp. Use as much or as little to your liking (I usually have a little bit leftover, but you may prefer more).
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes, remembering to put a baking pan beneath your crisp to catch the berry filling drippage.
- Serve warm or room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
What’s your favorite thing to do with fresh berries? Please share in the comments!