I've loved rhubarb ever since I was a child and it's something I look forward to enjoying every spring. This recipe uses a rich strawberry rhubarb reduction sauce as the base combined with sweet rice flour and an almond flour based baking mix. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries, more for garnish (if desired)
- ¾ cup diced fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mixture (I use 1 cup sweet rice flour and 1 cup Pamela's baking mix)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter, reserve 1-2 tablespoons for cooking strawberry-rhubarb mixture
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- In a small saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and two tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Bring strawberry rhubarb mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until it has reduced to roughly 1 cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: the rice flour, baking mix, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl combine the wet ingredients starting by creaming together the softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Then add the eggs, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of the strawberry-rhubarb mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.
- While mixing the wet ingredients, slowly add in the dry ingredients until it all is well incorporated. Set aside.
- Next, make the topping: combine the baking mix, sweet rice flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon. Stir to combine. Then cut the cold butter into several pieces and add it to the topping mixture. Mix with your fingers until the butter is well worked into the topping mixture.
- Next fill the muffin cups half way full. Then add a generous amount of topping and a thinly sliced strawberry for garnish (if desired).
- Bake for 30-32 minutes or until light golden brown.