Homemade gluten free chicken teriyaki is quick and delicious way to get more protein into your diet. This recipe uses chicken thighs which are not only less expensive than breast meat, but also more supportive of your liver-gallbladder axis. Thigh meat is higher in the amino acid taurine than breast meat, which helps to support bile synthesis, helping your body take out the trash.
- Teriyaki marinade — I use this often, but any Teriyaki sauce will work (you're just soaking your thighs in this for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to grilling). You could always just use a little Tamari and splash of rice wine vinegar too as a backup.
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- ¼ cup Sake
- ¼ cup Mirin or Aji-Mirin
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup rice of choice (I use Organic Jasmine rice)
- Prep sauce — In a small saucepan, combine the Tamari, Sake and Mirin. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce to a simmer. Add 2 tablespoons of white sugar and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly and will coat the back of a spoon. DO NOT BURN or it will taste awful.
- Prep rice — prepare according to package instructions.
- Prep chicken —
- Marinate chicken in marinade for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Grilling: Preheat grill for about 10 minutes, clean and oil the grate lightly to prevent sticking. With the grill on full heat, place thighs on the middle of the grill and close for 2 minutes. Then flip and let the other side grill at full heat for 2 minutes. Then open the grill, turn down the middle flames to the lowest setting, and turn the outer ones to medium. Let cook for about 10 minutes, flipping again once mid-way. Remove thighs from grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Chop chicken, lay over rice, and top with teriyaki sauce.