Sometimes you need a little help calming down at night, and help falling asleep. Although insomnia is deeply rooted in poor blood sugar regulation, this sleepytime spray with magnesium oil and lavender can help provide a little bit of help while you work on those deeper sleep issues. If you have chronic sleep issues, you'll want to checkout my anti-insomnia checklist.
But back to magnesium. Magnesium deficiency is all too common, as magnesium is needed for over 300 reactions in the body, not sufficient in our food supply, and wasted by the body during times of stress. According to Dr. Carolyn Dean, ND, MD, low magnesium levels can play a role in:
- Blood clots
- Bowl diseases
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Liver Disease
- Muscle and nerve problems
- Tooth decay
- Raynauds Syndrome
- Anxiety and panic attacks
Although it's best to get this important mineral from food, transdermal sources (magnesium oil, spray, epsom salt baths) of magnesium can be an additional source and very effective way to reverse deficiency. Lavender on the other hand, can be very uplifting, calming, and relaxing that can help prepare you for bedtime.
Magnesium Oil & Lavender Sleepytime Spray Ingredients:
1) Heat water, just before boiling point.
2) Remove from heat and add magnesium chloride flakes (not epsom salts, they will not work).
3) Add ⅛ teaspoon lavender essential oil.
4) Let cool and place in a glass spray bottle.
5) Use magnesium oil at bedtime or after a bath to get some transdermal magnesium.
6) The magnesium oil spray can be washed off (if you want) after letting it soak in for about 20 minutes.
Dean, Carolyn, ND, MD. Magnesium Miracle. Retrieved on December 17, 2013 from http://drcarolyndean.com/magnesium_miracle/