I don't believe high calorie food should be feared; instead, it should be embraced so long as it's nutrient dense. This super simple rice pudding fits the bill! While it's perfect for dessert, it's also equally satisfying for breakfast with a bit of collagen powder stirred in for protein. The long cooked rice is highly digestible, and it can be a good choice for those without a severe gut dysfunction that requires the elimination of all grains.
- ⅓ cup Arborio rice (like this)
- 1 can full fat organic coconut milk (like this)
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons organic brown sugar (like this), I'm sure maple syrup would be delicious too
- ⅛ teaspoon pumpkin spice (like this) OR half of a vanilla bean (scrape out the seeds and add, but also add the pod for cooking and remove before serving)
- pinch of salt (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2) In an oven safe dish combine rice, coconut milk, sugar, salt, pumpkin spice and water.
3) Bake for around 40 minutes, before opening the oven to give it a good stir.
4) Set the timer for another 40 minutes and give it another good stir when the timer's up.
5) Finish the rice pudding for about 20-30 minutes until rice is fully cooked and all the water is absorbed.
6) Top with cinnamon or pumpkin spice.
If having for a meal or snack, I recommend stirring in a tablespoon of collagen hydrolysate (like this) for protein.
How do you like to enjoy your rice pudding? Please share in the comments!