Is it worth it to do your own DIY nutrition or should you work with a nutritional therapist? Let your wallet be the judge....
Let's identify some costs of DIY nutrition...
1) Hear about Raspberry Ketones for weight loss on the Dr Oz show. Proceed to supplement store to buy a 6 month supply of the "weight loss miracle supplement."
Cost: $ 69.99 + tax
2) Read about your favorite Hollywood Diva that lost 10 lbs in 10 days by eating 1200 calories per day. Do that.
Cost: your metabolism and a whole lot of eating pleasure.
3) Recall your favorite talk show host went vegan and never looked back. Mimic her diet.
Cost: increased toxicity due to protein driving detoxification, slowed hormone synthesis, decreased fertility, slowed thyroid function, loss of craving intuition due to adherence to dietary dogma.
4) See your best friend doing this AMAZING 30 day juice fast, and decide to join her.
Cost: (see #3)
5) Jump on the paleo diet bandwagon overnight, and unintentionally cut most of the carbs out of your diet.
Cost: slowed thyroid function resulting in: decreased transit time (read: constipation), slowed hormone synthesis, and slowed detoxification (read: fatigue).
6) Spend half of your life savings on bars, shake powders and vitamin waters that guarantee to turn you into a super model in 21 days.
Cost $400, loss of pantry space, and powdered garbage that even bugs won't touch.
7) You tried 1-6 and now it's years later. You don't feel any better and you have less to show for it than before your DIY nutrition.
Cost: Feeling like a failure and increased medical bills.
On the contrary, working with a nutritional therapist to navigate all the BS and diet trends for you?
Would you consider working with a nutritionist or nutritional therapist? Why or why not?
You are so right! I am a case of number 5 in your list. And as you say, it was unintentionally. I contacted you yesterday through the "contact-form". Hope to hear from you soon:)
<3 this blog Catherine!! Your words speak truth as always and I the old commercial spin- so cute!
Awww shucks! You're making me blush. Thanks Melissa!