Butter Chicken ingredients:
1 cup yogurt (optional, to marinate chicken prior to cooking, strain and discard yogurt)
1 tb garam masala
1.5 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne (use 1/8 tsp or less for mild heat)
2 tb honey or simple syrup
1 tb fresh ginger, chopped
1 tb fresh garlic, chopped
¼-1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
8 tb butter
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 tb tomato paste
1 (14 ½-ounce) can tomato sauce (like this)
1 (14 ½-ounce) whole peeled tomatoes (like this)
1 lb chicken breast or thighs, chopped
- Marinate chopped chicken in yogurt for 1-12 hours to tenderize. Strain yogurt and discard (optional).
- Combine spices: 1 tb garam masala, 1.5 tsp ground ginger
& 1/4 tsp cayenne in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Over medium low heat, saute onion in butter for about 10 minutes. Add fresh ginger and garlic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add spice blend stirring frequently for 30-60 seconds, careful to not burn the spices.
- Add tomato sauce, whole peeled tomatoes, and paste. Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to bender (or immersion blender) and process until smooth. I prefer the smooth texture from a Vitamix blender.
- Pour butter chicken sauce back into pan. Add salt and sugar to taste.
- In a separate pan, cook chicken for about 8-10 minutes until done.
- Add chicken to sauce, simmer briefly. Enjoy this nutrient dense butter chicken!
This post was share at Fight Back Friday by Food Renegade.
Do you have a favorite Indian recipe other than butter chicken? Please tell me about it in the comments!