Today I'm sharing my salted caramel ice cream with a coconut twist! Using palm sugar in this recipe is important since it contributes to the caramel flavor. While it will not taste identical to your traditional cream based salted caramel ice cream, I do think it has its own unique flavor profile that is worth exploring! I've also included an optional caramel sauce you can use as a topping if desired.
2 cans coconut milk (I like this additive free brand without guar gum)
6 egg pastured egg yolks*
1 cup coconut palm sugar (like this)
1 tb gelatin (optional, I recommend this)
1 teaspoon salt (some prefer closer to 1.5-2tsp)
2 teaspoon vanilla
Easy caramel topping (optional)
1) Combine 1 can of coconut milk and all of the palm sugar in a saucepan on medium, and heat until it starts to boil (watch carefully to avoid it boiling over).
2) Reduce heat to a simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Then let cool in the fridge for about 1 hour.
3) In a blender combine the chilled coconut milk/sugar mixture, the other can of coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla, & salt. Blend at a low-speed until combined.
4) Add gelatin (optional). Blend.
5) Pour in ice cream maker and wait patiently.
6) Top with easy caramel sauce (optional).
*Raw egg yolks are not appropriate for everyone. Please do your own research and make your own choice on whether they are right for you. You may also view our disclaimer here.
What is your favorite way to use caramel? Please share it in the comments!