A clean, delicious, and also gluten free pizza crust recipe is extremely hard to find these days. Most recipes contain added gums, such as guar or xanthan gum which can be hard on the digestive system, particularly for those with low stomach acid. Additionally, most paleo pizza crusts are made with tapioca starch, almond flour, arrowroot, or potato starch which can also be problematic digestively.
This is a super easy recipe that uses a small amount of rice flour, along with eggs and Parmesan cheese. It is also a lactose intolerance friendly recipe if you are sure to use harder cheeses as the topping, and avoid lactose containing cheeses such as mozzarella. While I love-making this grain free pizza crust with cauliflower, processing the cauliflower can take up to an hour! This crust recipe is much quicker and just as satisfying.
- Combine sweet rice flour, coconut flour, Parmesan, salt, spices, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Form dough into one large ball.
- Place dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Using your hand (with an additional piece of parchment if necessary) press the dough to form a thin crust, using a rolling pin if necessary. If you've added too much egg it will be too sticky to spread easily. In this case, add a bit more sweet rice flour.
- Bake the gluten free pizza crust at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Add toppings such as sauce, cheese, and return to the oven on broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil if desired and serve.Makes 1 large gluten free pizza crust.
What's your favorite gluten free pizza crust recipe? Please share in the comments!