Store bought deodorants contain toxic ingredients linked to disease that are best avoided like: aluminum (metal), parabens (synthetic preservative), propylene glycol (petroleum derived), phthalates (used as a plasticizer), and triclosan (pesticide). YIKES! This all natural deodorant recipe is very gentle and effective, but since everyone is different you may want to try out a few to find one that works best for you.
Ingredients (makes 1 natural deodorant stick):
- 1\3 cup coconut oil (where to find coconut oil)
- 1\2 tb aloe vera gel
- 1 tb baking soda (like this)
- 4 tb arrowroot (like this)
- 1\4 teaspoon vitamin e (like this)
- 1\4 teaspoon essential oil, I recommend lavender, lemon or tea tree oil (where to find essential oils at wholesale prices)
- 2 tb beeswax (like this)
- Empty deodorant stick container (like this)
- Melt coconut oil & beeswax in a saucepan with vitamin e, aloe vera and essential oils. Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot.
- Stir well until smooth, and return to heat if needed (if mixture cools too much and starts to harden).
- Pour into a deodorant container and allow to cool for a few hours. Complete cooling time will depend on the temperature in your house and/or environment.
If you don't like making your own natural deodorant, you can find the best all natural pit paste on the market here.
What is your favorite natural deodorant? Please share in the comments!