Since winter is HERE and that means drier skin, I went on a buttery lip gloss making kick this last weekend. These are so fun and really simple to make, not to mention the chocolate lip gloss feels like you're smearing liquid peppermint brownie all over your lips (highly recommended)!
- Chapstick or lip gloss containers (like this)
- Colored paper, ribbon, tape, nail polish to decorate (optional)
1 tb coconut oil (where to find coconut oil)
1 tb cocoa butter (like this)
1 tb beeswax (2 teaspoon for a softer butter, like this)
1 teaspoon cacao powder (for chocolate, optional, like this)
2-4 drops essential oil, I used peppermint (optional, where to find essential oils at wholesale prices)
5 drops progest E (optional)
1) Finely chop cocoa butter, measure 1 tablespoon.
2) Finely chop beeswax, measure 1 tablespoon.
3) Combine in saucepan coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, and cacao powder (optional). Allow to melt, stir, pour in chapstick or lip gloss containers to cool and harden.
4) Let chapstick/lip gloss cool for about 5-10 minutes before decorating.
*1 recipe makes approximately 4 containers of lip butter.
Thanks for the recipe! I'm wondering if you think that shea butter could be substituted for the cocoa butter? Would love your thoughts! My lips always suffer in the winter. It's so hard to find good lip butter/chapstick. =)
Diann - I haven't tried, but I think you can. Make sure to get food-grade shea butter since it will be really close to your mouth. I've found shea butter to be a little softer than cocoa butter, but not too much. What a creamy, hydrating lip butter you could create!
These sound wonderful! Anything called "Liquid Brownie" is automatically on the must-try list! Thank you.