Just because you can’t do dairy doesn’t mean you have to avoid ice cream! Meet my favorite coconut milk ice cream recipe: Anti-stress Double Chocolate. And because this recipe is packed with calcium, magnesium and gelatin, which tends to have an anti-stress, calming effect on the body, there is even more reason to enjoy it! Because this is a dairy free ice cream recipe, I add powered eggshells to compensate for the lack of dairy calcium and to help balance the magnesium rich cocoa powder.
Coconut Milk Ice Cream Ingredients:
1 can coconut milk (I like this additive free brand without guar gum)
3 pastured egg yolks*
4.5 tb pure cacao powder (I use this one)
2 tb dark chocolate chips (finely shredded)
1/4 cup + 2tb organic cane sugar
1 tb collagen hydrolysate (optional, I recommend this)
1/2 tsp finely powdered eggshell calcium (optional)
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1) Combine 1/2 can of coconut milk and all of the sugar in a saucepan on medium, and heat until dissolved (this inverts the sugar and makes it easier to digest, particularly for those on GAPS or SCD diets). Let this cool in the fridge for about 1 hour.
2) In a blender combine the chilled coconut milk/sugar mixture, the rest of the coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla, & salt. Blend at a low-speed until combined.
3) Add cocoa powder, gelatin (optional) and eggshell calcium (optional). Blend.
4) Pour in ice cream maker and wait patiently.
5) Top this chocolate coconut milk ice cream with shredded chocolate chips or stir in to combine. Enjoy!
*Raw egg yolks are not appropriate for everyone, especially those with weakened immunity. Please do your own research and make your own choice on whether they are right for you. You may also view our disclaimer here.