If you’ve been following for a while, you may already know that I would much rather embrace sugar as an easy to digest carbohydrate than demonize it. However, I do like to acknowledge that while it is calorically rich, it is not nutrient rich at all—very much lacking in fact. This recipe changes all that and flips a traditional simple syrup recipe around, making it much more nutrient rich than empty.
1.5 cups organic sugar
1 cup fresh beet juice
1) Chop fresh beets and run through a juicer or blend in a high-powered blender (like this) and then strain out the pulp using a mesh nut milk bag (like this).
2) In a saucepan combine sugar & beet juice. Stir to combine.
3) Over medium heat bring to a boil and then immediately remove pan from heat.
4) Let simple syrup cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
5) Enjoy! The applications for beet juice simple syrup are endless (stay tuned for more recipes)!