If you've been following the blog for a while now, you may already know that I would much rather embrace a little bit of sugar as an easy to digest carbohydrate than demonize it. However, I do like to acknowledge that while sugar is calorically rich, it is nutritionally empty. This beet juice simple syrup recipe changes that up by replacing the water in a traditionally simple syrup recipe with fresh beet juice, increasing the nutrient content significantly. It also serves as a great all-natural red food coloring!
1.5 cups organic sugar
1 cup fresh beet juice
1) Chop fresh beets and run through a juicer or blend in a high-powered blender (like this) and then strain out the pulp using a mesh nut milk bag (like this).
2) In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and beet juice. Stir to combine.
3) Bring the sugar solution to a boil and then immediately remove pan from heat.
4) Let the simple syrup cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
5) Store the cooled syrup in a glass container in the fridge and enjoy. The applications for beet juice simple syrup are endless (stay tuned for more recipes)!