In the health and fitness world, protein powders and protein shakes are everywhere making big promises to help you achieve your “ideal” physique. But below the surface, what do these foods really do for your body at a cellular level– do they contribute to nutritional wealth or debt? Let’s dig beneath the hype, high markup, and glamorous marketing of these magical products!
Protein powders are often of low quality, contain irritating additives/fillers, and most of the raw materials are imported without strict regulation regarding safety and purity. They are also “refined,” with much of the nutritional value stripped out during processing. Empty foods such as these can compromise your detoxification abilities, causing your body to retain toxins rather than excrete them.
The further you get from the primary source of your food: ie. foods right out of the dirt, directly from an animal, or from an abundant garden, the more processing and stripping of nutrients occurs (leading to an imbalance). Imbalances from processed food are common place in America, and protein powders are just ONE of the foods to blame.
The never advertised downsides to protein powders:
- Highly processed with valuable nutrients removed. According to Ray Peat,PhD “Powdered foods that contain tryptophan are extremely susceptible to harmful oxidation, and the best things are removed, for example calcium, lactose, and casein, with its anti-stress properties.”
- Because protein powders are a “refined food” they can contribute to imbalances in the body that can lead to inflammation.
- Protein usually comes with fat in its natural state (ie. egg yolks, steak), but protein powder is a fat-free food. The fat is necessary to absorb fat soluble vitamins and for optimal assimilation of nutrients.
- Contain additives, texture enhancers, and added synthetic nutrients.
- Some popular protein shake powders have been found to contain heavy metals such as arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury!
So here’s how to make an all natural protein shake, with balanced whole food protein for optimal nutrition!
This REAL FOOD protein shake contains:
- Collagen hydrolysate (a form a gelatin) that helps to fuel phase 2 detoxification in the liver, fighting inflammation and aging. Gelatin has a unique and very non-inflammatory amino acid profile, and it primarily consists of glycine, glutamic acid, proline and alanine. These particular amino acids are lacking in the Standard American Diet; this is due to the heavy consumption of muscle meats and exclusion of the other 50% of the animal. Over time, this greater consumption can produce more inflammation when it is not balanced by non-inflammatory proteins like gelatin. Although gelatin is primarily made up of non-essential amino acids (meaning your body CAN make them), many over-stressed livers are not able to manufacture all the non-essential amino acids in the amounts demanded by the body. The liver needs an abundance of these proteins to keep the liver functioning optimally. Gelatin helps fuel the liver to help your body “take out the trash” in our toxic world!
- Coconut milk a great source of fat that stimulates the metabolism and is easy to digest.
- Egg yolks are like nature’s multi-vitamin; they contain everything needed to support life! They are a great source of protein, fat and fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K2.
- Organic berries supply antioxidants, vitamins, and some easily digested carbohydrates.
- Honey supplies easy-to-digest carbohydrates to fuel the metabolism.
- 3-4 Tb coconut milk (like this– aff link)
- 2 Tb collagen hydrolysate (like this– aff link)
- 2 Tb simple syrup or honey
- 2 pastured egg yolks*
- 6 large frozen organic strawberries
- 1/4-1/3 cup water
1) Combine coconut milk, water, collagen hydrolysate, simple syrup & egg yolks in a blender to combine.
2) Add strawberries and blend until smooth.
Serves 1. Contains about 18g of protein per recipe.
*Raw egg yolks are not appropriate for everyone. Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have a weakened immunity or a medical condition. Please do your own research and make your own choice on whether they are right for you.