I love Indian food, and surprise-surprise butter chicken is one of my favorite dishes! So cook up this silky butter chicken recipe stat– you’ll be happy you did.
Butter Chicken ingredients:
1 cup yogurt (optional, to marinate chicken prior to cooking, strain and discard yogurt)
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cayenne (use 1/8 tsp or less for mild heat)
2 tablespoons honey or simple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
¼-½ teaspoon salt (to taste)
8 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (14 ½-ounce) can tomato sauce (like this)
1 (14 ½-ounce) whole peeled tomatoes (like this)
1 pound chicken breast or thighs, chopped
- 1 cup jasmine rice (like this)
- 1 cup chicken bone broth or chicken stock
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Marinate chopped chicken in yogurt for 1-12 hours to tenderize. Strain yogurt and discard (optional).
- Combine spices: 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
and ¼ teaspoon cayenne in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Over medium low heat, saute onion in butter for about 10 minutes. Add fresh ginger and garlic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add spice blend stirring frequently for 30-60 seconds, careful to not burn the spices.
- Add tomato sauce, whole peeled tomatoes, and paste. Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to bender (or immersion blender) and process until smooth. I prefer the smooth texture from a Vitamix blender.
- Pour butter chicken sauce back into pan. Add salt and sugar to taste.
- In a separate pan, cook chicken for about 8-10 minutes or until done.
- Add chicken to sauce, simmer briefly.
- Serve with rice (if desired). Enjoy this nutrient dense butter chicken!
Do you have a favorite Indian recipe other than butter chicken? Please tell me about it in the comments!