These gelatin protein bars are inspired by my love for chocolate ice cream, and my desire to make that chocolate pudding taste portable.
1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk (I like this additive free brand without guar gum)
4.5 tb pure cocoa powder (like this)
1/4 cup + 2 tb organic cane sugar (like this, use 2tb more for sweeter flavor)
1 tb gelatin collagen hydrolysate (green can)
¼ cup gelatin (red can)
¼ tsp salt (like this)
1 tsp vanilla extract (like this)
1) In a blender combine all ingredients except gelatin.
2) Slowly add the gelatin while blender is running to avoid any clumping.
3) Put in saucepan, over medium heat. While stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Then immediately remove from heat.
4) Grease a small baking dish with coconut oil. Pour gelatin mixture and let cool about 1-2 hours in the fridge until firmly set.
5) Cut into protein bars, and store in the fridge. Will keep for about 4-7 days.
I use two different kinds of gelatin in this recipe. One makes the mixture gel (plain gelatin), and the collagen hydrolysate is used as added protein (because it is more processed and easier to digest). I prefer to use a combination of both in this recipe to increase the protein content. Please note- if you have very poor digestion, you may have a hard time digesting gelatin, especially the kind that makes a mixture gel. Also, slowly increase the intake of gelatin in your diet over many weeks or months. Adding too much too quickly can cause digestive upset, as gelatin is rich in glycine and fuels the detoxification process.
What is your favorite protein bar? Please share in the comments!