If you’ve never heard of or tried sumac, I think you will be pleasantly surprised (as was I) with this sumac lemonade! Sumac is a wild bush native to the Mediterranean. The dark red berries are usually dried and crushed to create sumac powder (spice), that has a fruity flavor with strong notes of lemon. As well as being quiet delicious, it’s also high in antioxidants and said to have anti-microbial properties.
Sumac Lemonade Ingredients:
3 cups water
2/3 cup sumac simple syrup (recipe below)
3 large lemon (about 3/4 cup lemon juice)
sliced lemon to garnish
Combine water, simple syrup and lemon juice. Stir, add ice and garnish. Serves 4.
Sumac Simple Syrup
1.5 cups organic sugar
1 cup water
6 tb powdered sumac (like this)
1) In a saucepan combine sugar, water, & sumac. Stir to combine.
2) Over low-medium heat bring to a boil and immediately remove pan from heat.
3) Let simple syrup cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
4) Strain sumac simple syrup through cheesecloth to remove residual sumac powder.
5) Enjoy! The applications for this delicious sumac simple syrup are endless (stay tuned for more recipes)!
Have you had sumac before? Did you like it as much as me?