Need a quick snack on the go? These all natural, protein-rich fruit snacks are for you!
½ cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 large organic lemons)
½ cup strawberry puree (from about 1.5-2 cups whole ripe organic strawberries)
¼ cup organic sugar for a sour flavor (add an additional 2 tablespoons sugar for a sweeter flavor)
2 tablespoons gelatin (red can-like this)
1 tablespoon collagen hydrolysate or collagen peptides (green can like this)
1) In saucepan over medium-low heat combine the strawberry puree, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
2) Slowly add the gelatin and collagen hydrolysate, stirring constantly so that no clumping occurs.
3) Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat.
4) Grease a small pan with coconut oil. Pour the gelatin mixture and let cool about 1-2 hours in the fridge, or until firmly set.
5) Cut the fruit snacks and enjoy.
I use two different kinds of gelatin in this fruit snack recipe. One makes the mixture gel (plain gelatin), and the collagen hydrolysate is used as added protein (because it is more processed and easier to digest). I prefer to use a combination of both in this recipe to increase the protein content. Please note- if you have very poor digestion, you may have a hard time digesting gelatin, especially the kind that makes a mixture gel. Also, slowly increase the intake of gelatin in your diet over many weeks or months. Adding too much too quickly can cause digestive upset, as gelatin is rich in glycine and fuels the detoxification process.
This post was shared at Fight Back Friday.